Thursday, January 28, 2010

Time to retire an old friend


I had not thought about it until I got together with long time friend and photographer Robin Loznak a few weeks ago and he said "you still have that same camera bag"

Yes I do.

My mom bought it for over 20 years ago when I was in college. Domke bags were, and still are the coolest bags to have. Nothing said I am a kick ass professional like a well used Domke bag.
It is the only bag I have ever used as a professional. I remember looking setting it down on a fire ant hill in Texas and it was covered with in seconds with ants that bite. It smelled like smoke for weeks after the Oakland Hills fire in 1993. I spilled a big bag of jelly bellies in it once and kept finding them for years it seemed. It has been to every wedding I have photographed, and every one of the 828 jobs I have photographed since quitting the newspaper 6 years ago.

But it is time to get a new one. it is faded, ripping at the seems. The strap has almost worn through. There are holes on the bottom and sides, and the dividers inside barely work.

But I won't get rid of it I am going to put it on a shelf in my office next to my old Nikon F3

My new camera bag will be the same a black Domke, that will last me until I retire in 20 years

No comments: